Friday, April 27, 2007

RED ROAD FLATS

One of the 9% Growth parties policies is not to knock down once politically correct but now incorrect blocks of flats & that if that is the only option the GHA have then it would be better to give them away to their occupants. I discussed this elsewhere & have received an email in support of my position

"I was brought up in the Red Road. I started my first Company (Clydeside Television Productions) from my flat in Red Road court. I had a warm, secure, well appointed home. I loved the place, but was forced to move in 1990 because the council were letting it slide just too far.The place is in the state it's in because of WILFUL neglect on the part of the City Fathers; no other reason. They let the buildings rot, effectively condoned the violence and drugs and deliberately used the place as a dumping ground. The original posters proposals won't see the light of day for one reason and one reason only; Those holding the controls want their skin; their wedge off the top. Nose-in-the trough time for the City's fatcats and to hell with the ordinary weegie!
# posted by Matt Quinn : April 25"

To which I replied
"Thank you for commenting Matt. That was pretty much how I thought of it but never having been an occupant of such a flat I have always felt a bit nervous about pontificating.... I have thought that if they just leased out a shop & perhaps pub at the bottom of the larger flats they would turn them into a real community. Victorian developers built corner shops & pubs but they were motivated by money. Our councillors & planners, with purer motivations never thought of this."

The idea of knocking down what should be decent homes just because high rise living, except for the rich when they are called luxury apartments, is now unfashionable is offensive.

No comments: